Thursday, March 5, 2009

Did this actually happen?

This morning I was sitting in class, contemplating what my next blogging move would be, when THIS happened.

My biomaterials professor walked in dressed unusually casually, but I blamed his oversized nylon workout pants and untucked denim shirt on a rough morning, and dismissed it. My class sat and chatted while we awaited our prof to set up his power point presentation for class. When class began, our prof started his lecture by apologizing for his casual appearance.

"I'd like to apologize for my casual dress today. There is a good reason though, and I'll show you. Get ready ladies!!"

My prof pulled up his pant leg a few inches to reveal a knee brace of some sort. I have to admit I zoned out for a while, but I think he had knee surgery of and couldn't put on his normal professor pants. He proceeded to enlighten us with invaluable knowledge on the history of amalgam restorations, their physical and chemical properties, how they are made, etc. We were all enthralled.

Just as my attention span was starting to wane, I heard my professor utter these words, words that no one can ignore, words that are forever emblazoned into my mind:

"Whoops, hang on guys, my pants just fell down."

Anyone who was half asleep or surfing Facebook was startled into paying attention. An uproar of laughter filled the room. Fortunately, he was standing behind a podium that was about waist high. Also fortunate is the fact that he laughed too and isn't the type of guy to embarass easily, apparently. So we weren't laughing AT him, but WITH him. He nonchalantaly retrieved the nylon sack he was wearing from the ground and pulled it back up.

My friend and I looked at each other, laughing and in disbelief that his hilarious incident actually happened. It seemed too much like someone's worst nighmare (and too funny) to be true. Nothing exciting ever happens in that desolate classroom we hours a day in, especially in biomaterials class. We couldn't believe it.

"Well I have to say, that hasn't ever happened in 35 years," our prof admitted.

He proceeded on like nothing had happened, explaining the benefits of high copper amalgams without missing a beat. Twenty minutes or so went by, and most of us had put the incident behind us and were starting to fade again.

"Well I see some dozers out there, shall I drop trough again?"

I'm just thankful that this particular misfortune happened to this particular prof. If it were anyone else, it would have been a lot more embarassing. And less funny.

After about an hour of lecture, my professor was almost done covering the material he was supposed to cover in 2 hours, and was about to dismiss us.

"Well guys what do you think, we have an hour left, shall I start from the beginning again? Oh wait... I don't know if I can keep my pants up that long."

:-D

2 comments:

  1. hahaha that is really funny! i sure that hope never happens to ME though!


    i cant wait until tom. yaaaaaaay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you had a blog! Lauren and I are avid bloggers and are always looking for fellow classmates that are, too. I pretty much pee'ed in my pants when that happened... it made dental school worth while!

    ReplyDelete

Light Orchid