Monday, March 30, 2009

Attack of the Flea

This weekend, which also happened to be the start of my spring break, was my first (and hopefully last) encouter with a FLEA EPIDEMIC!!! Yiiikkeess... here's how it went down.

Friday night around midnight we were about to go to bed when I picked Disco up to put him in his kennel and noticed a nasty varmit leisurely strolling across Disco's back. I summoned Micah at once as I cannot be expected to deal with such things on my own. Micah exercised his great wisdom and determined that the varmit was, in fact, a flea. I immediately felt itchy everywhere.

Since it was too late to really do much about our little problem, we put Disco in his kennel and went to sleep. Sleep was difficult as I kept feeling billions upon billions of little bugs crawling all over me (ok, so this was just in my imagination).


Saturday morning I went into intense flea warfare. We washed just about every item that we could put in the washing machine. After doing laundry for several hours, we went to Walmart and purchased a flea comb and some flea powder. We combed Disco and found no more evidence of the little life suckers. Next we covered the floor and furniture with flea powder, let it sit, then vacuumed it up. Unfortunately there are still little particles of flea powder that did not vacuum up, even after 2 vacummings, so if Micah, Disco or I die of cancer in the next few days, we'll know why.

Now I know what you're thinking, "Why is she calling the sight of one flea an 'epidemic?'" Well I know one person who would agree with you and may even think I'm acting a little silly or "overreacting." Well, as the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here you go:








That, my friends, is a flea. They are gross. They also lay eggs by the dozens and have mouths that are designed for "piercing skin and sucking blood" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea <---- if you click that link you will suddenly feel bugs all over you, I promise).

What's worst of all is that Disco was not supposed to get fleas!! He's on flea treatment! WHHAATT?? I called the vet to complain, but they had no sympathy and suggested that I try a different brand of flea treatment. Brilliant.

For now, it seems our epidemic has subsided. However, I cannot rest peacefully until 2 weeks has passed flea free, as that is how long it takes the eggs to hatch.

Well now that I feel bugs on me again, perhaps I will change the topic. Besides combating fleas, I have been doing a lot of baking over my spring break. I made some coconut bread pudding, homemade whole wheat tortillas, and I'm currently in the midst of making some whole wheat bread from scratch. The bread pudding turned out delish, but I think my days of making flour tortillas from scratch are over as they turned out kind of stiff and not that tasty. It was still a fun thing to try, though! I have also played some disc golf with Micah and my skills are rapidly improving, according to him. Today I went running outside for the first time in a while with my friend Lydia and I almost died....man I'm out of shape! Then I completely cancelled that running out by eating 2 huge chocolate chip cookies! yummmmm... Diet?? What diet?? Tomorrow is another day....

2 comments:

  1. i hate you right now.
    the FLEA.
    i seriously almost had a panic attack when i saw that enlarged picture.
    then....
    the freakin' COOKIE.

    come on now, some best friend you are!



    ......ok i have calmed down now. i love you and you are a good best friend, besides the two horrible pictures (and Yes i realize they are horrible in two completely different ways).

    your story did crack me up though, and i would totally be freaking out too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee hee... I laughed so much at this! Your narration is freaking hilarious. Not just hilarious - FREAKING hilarious. And the flea pic was pretty damn disgusting, but you made up for it with the cookie (although now I can't help but pair the two together...)

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Light Orchid