Friday, June 5, 2009

Fun Food Friday

I know I just posted about food, but my friend and fellow blogger, Maegan, started doing Fun Food Fridays on her blog, and I thought it was a really good idea. Basically every Friday you post a fun and healthy recipe, tip, idea etc.... seems like a good way to get new ideas from each other.

The other night I tried a new recipe for Spinach Stuffed Chicken. Unfortunately I did not have the foresight to take pictures, so just imagine a chicken breast stuffed with cheesy, spinachy goodness, topped with a chunky tomato sauce. Got it? Okay, here is my modified version of the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 6 oz. oz. fresh, washed spinach
  • 6 oz. grated mozzerella cheese, divided
  • 1 onion, finely chopped, divided
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)-- NOTE: I seeded the jalapeno but it was still too spicy for me, so I would recommend NOT using a jalapeno or using less
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 chicken stock cube or equivalent bullion
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions:

1. Heat the olive oil in a pan and add half of the chopped onion. Cook until soft.

2. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. You may have to add a little water to get it to cook all the way.

3. Take the spinach and onion off the heat and let it cool until you can comfortably handle it. Add about 2/3 of the mozzarella cheese and mix. Set this mixture aside.

4. Begin preparing the sauce by heating some olive oil in a saucepan, then adding the remaining onion and the jalapeno (if you're using it). Cook until soft.

5. Add the cans of tomatoes (I drained one of them and added the second undrained), oregano, bullion, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 15 minutes.

6. Meanwhile, cut slits in the chicken breasts lengthwise. They should be almost all the way through the breast, but don't cut them in half; leave a little pouch for the stuffing.

7. Stuff each chicken breast with a quarter of the spinach/onion/cheese mixture. Place them in a 9"x13" baking dish.

8. When the sauce is done simmering, add the Parmesan cheese.

9. Pour the sauce on top of the breasts and along the bottom of pan. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

10. When the chicken is almost ready, sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top. Bake it long enough to melt it, but not long enough to burn (5-10 minutes).

It sounds complicated, but it really isn't; just takes a little time (took me about an hour to prepare it for the oven). It's worth the time--very tasty dinner! We ate it with a green salad.

If you are a South Beach dieter, it is a yummy part of a phase 1 meal if you use low fat versions of the cheeses. It may be wise to reduce the amounts used as well. The original recipe didn't call for Parmesan cheese in the sauce; I just thought it would be a tasty addition and would thicken it somewhat. A healthier plan would be to just add it to taste right before eating it. You could probably live without adding the second dose of mozzarella at the end as well.

Weight watchers people, sorry. I don't know how to calculate points and all that, but I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad...you will probably want to reduce the amounts of all the cheeses, though.

That's all, folks! I hope you other bloggers out there post something for Fun Food Friday!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you did it!! I really will try it- Jordan and I LOVE spinach! And chicken of course... That train caboose place looked so cool. I'm glad you're having a good summer!

    ReplyDelete

Light Orchid